Thursday, January 12, 2012

elaborating on the previous process

Works such as these were all taken by rephotographing positive film out of my medium format camera.  I started wondering if there were other ways for me to get my hands on positive images that I could rephotograph that didn't restrict me to 120mm of film (which has been limiting in how small it is to work with) and that could draw upon my large stock of digital images. 

 I have been experimenting with having images colour photocopied onto acetate, like you might do for an overhead projector, or to make a silkscreen image.  These images have their own limitations because the picture quality is much lower, due to the printing process.


so i thought i would try different processes that would essentially allow the lower image quality mingle with the randomness of physically manipulating the image through layering the films and images.




after a while i also thought that it might be interesting to see what hapens if  idhere these film layers, and this is what happened. 
using a spray polyurethane i adhered the layers resulting in the colour copy inks to separate to some degree which i think could have potential for some very fun outcomes.  I have scanned in the results on my super amazing epson scanner where i can get high res images from my experimentations.  i love blowing this stuff up!

 this is what the 1st experiment looked like in its entirety.  the last two images were segments of this one chunk.


so i hope that explained it a little more.  i have sent 20 more images to be printed on acetate and am going to pick them up around noon.  I'm excited!
weeee





2 comments:

  1. weeeeee! oh my god you are so smart and these are so great! knowing how you got to where you are is so much more insightful! what a crazy new idea! hooray for process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited for your 20 images to arrive!

      Delete