Sunday, March 4, 2012

The beginning of Re-Creation!





So I pulled out my grandmothers old sewing machine. It literally hasn't been used since she died when I was 7 which was in 1987. I have only ever sewed a pencil case and a set of curtains (not on this machine & with help), I have decided I would teach myself to sew. I didn't even know if the machine would work but it does. Fortunately Jamie knew how to load a bobbin and thread the machine....(WHAT!) This is a discussion we have never ever had. So I had no idea he was so sewing knowledgeable. I then used his gun oil & oiled her up.
Here are the photos of my first project. This is an old dress which I never wore. I had the idea to make a pillow case. It was Gracie's idea to make the rest into a nifty purse. She is so clever! After a lot of thought the designs required 5 straight lines and there were no scraps & no hand sewing! They aren't perfect but I am so happy with my first attempt!
If any of you have some nifty patterns on shirts or dresses which you never wear could you please purge them to me. xo JLee

3 comments:

  1. i loved your story! i will keep my eyes wide open for fun patterns for you and then purge them in your direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great place to find patterns is at the Salvation Army! great stuff there....and congrats on a wonderful first project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been & found some nifty patterns & goodies. I have a cousin who works at a second hand store she always has fun finding stuff for the girls so I am going to put her to work, she'll be excited.

      Delete